Friday 3 December 2010

Shakespeare Diagrammed?

It would seem that the idea of visualizing Shakespeare is more wide-spread than I initially thought. While I blogged on this same subject (Shakespeare Visualized?) last month, other approaches keep appearing. A friend sent me a link to a print of Hamlet presented as a diagram. Available for sale on Etsy, this visualization is a hybrid of process flow, genealogical chart, and glyph system.





Multiple views of the Hamlet diagram



This piece works far better than the data analysis previously presented, but I am still not convinced that it does the narrative justice. For example, the following extract from Act II is, in my opinion, difficult to grasp from a process point of view:





"Process Flow" from Act II



While the glyph system mixes straight-ahead enumeration (use of the letters to abbreviate names) to the iconic (representing players with the masks), I found it confusing. Other icons in the system include skulls, castles, daggers and poison.


Glyph system from Hamlet diagram


We have never attempted to transform this kind of narrative into a full-fledged visualization, so I do applaud the work for its daring. Still, I think I would take Olivier or Branagh over this 50 x 79 print every time.