Wednesday 16 February 2011

Design Bar & VIP Lounge at the Stockholm Furniture Fair

“The concept for the Design Bar reflects my experiences of recent years, during which I have spent much time working and living in different cultures. My goal has been to create an environment that draws on these global impressions, rather than telling a linear story. I like visitors to be able to come here for a break from the hustle and bustle of the fair. They become part of this stimulating environment, which plays with one’s perceptions of private and public space” said Katrin Greiling.


Industrial designer, interior architect and photographer Katrin Greiling grew up in Munich, and has been based in Stockholm since 2000. After graduating from Konstfack in Stockholm in 2005 she founded Studio Greiling and recently returned from a 3-year excursion to the Middle East. Her clients have included Askul, Offecct, Graniph and Wallpaper, and she also contributes regularly as photographer to international publications. Her Bidoun sofa collection – commented by Jurgen Bey and Bouroullec brothers for SOS Abitare (July 2010/Abitare 504) – was recently awarded Furniture of the Year 2010 by Swedish magazine Sköna Hem.



“I got the request to design the design Bar & VIP Lounge at the Stockolm Furniture Fair when I still was living in Dubai but already playing with the thoughts of moving back to Sweden. The geographical distance I had to Europe during my 3 years in the Middle East created a certain longing back and a comparison in how cities are built: how European cities are developed compared to the model used particularly in Dubai. A circular development compared to a linear or almost punctual one, around the church, growing around. Archetypes of the European house, the triangle shaped roof became for me a symbol of the ‘Old city’.




I used the shape of the roof in the space to create an environment where you feel sheltered. The material I worked with is paper board, with a red printed surface on the outside, suspended above tables. The smaller version of a roof shape is hanging above sun deck chairs to help the fair visitors to get some contemplation during their visit of the fair. As a designer I think it is difficult to be on fairs, as you see so much but actually just wanna go back to your studio and do your own work. It is okay to be for your own, under a shield individual, to reflect.” she continued.

“The ‘Pineapple Bar’ in the center of the 320 sqm space is more figurative inspired, from my time in Dubai, where I was hanging at my favorite juice bars, drinking the most delicious, healthy things. It is a construction with a stretch fabric as surface. In clay boxes (produced together with students of Capellagården, school on the island Öland where I myself studied fine carpentry) all drinks are chilled and served from. As well I designed trays in powder coated metal and round plates in porcelain.”



_DSC3575_Gal700px
_DSC3452_Gal700px
_DSC3526_Gal700px
_DSC3528_Gal700px
_DSC3539_Gal700px
_DSC3460_Gal700px
_DSC3494_Gal700px
_DSC3508_Gal700px
_DSC3548_Gal700px
_DSC3564_Gal700px
_DSC3482_Gal700px
_DSC3537_Gal700px